The world is a all a twitter with news that Miss Idaho wore her insulin pump during the bathing suit competition. And we in the DOC are so proud of her for winning the competition and bringing Type 1 diabetes to the forefront.
But at the same time, it appears the message is lost because of a single photo. And God Bless Sierra Sandison for writing this blog post: http://missidahoorg.blogspot.com/2014/07/i-am-more-one-of-themost-touching.html
In it, she explains how thrilled she is to have touched so many, but wants us all to remember that we are so much more than whatever burden we bear in this life. She has asked people with T1 D to not only #showmeyourpump but also share who you are as a person.
So here is my pumper
Still wearing her pump…sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn’t.
So who is she besides a girl with a pump?
- a daughter
- a sister
- a granddaughter
- a cousin
- a loyal friend
- a singer
- an actress
- a musician
- a volleyball player
- a tennis player
- a student
- a person of Faith
And what has she done since becoming a pumper?
- Made it to the regional science fair TWICE
- taken the ACT as a 7th grader
- led her volleyball team to a tournament championship
- been named MVP and All League for volleyball
- played 8 seasons of volleyball
- attended volleyball and acting camps
- been student council treasurer
- sung numerous solos and duets/trios for school and church
- maintained straight A’s
- qualified for all honors courses in high school
- raised thousands of dollars for JDRF
- seen Luke Bryan, Lee Brice, Cole Swindell, Billy Currington, Kacey Musgraves, Lady Antebellum, and Josh Turner in concert (going to see Jason Aldean and Florida Georgia Line next)
- met the actress Maddi Trumble, who played Mary Poppins in the National Tour and got to go backstage
- traveled to Nashville, Walt Disney World, and the Bahamas
- taken part in a clinical trial of the Artificial Pancreas
- been Superhero of the month by her local JDRF chapter
- been part of a story in Insulin Nation
- volunteered as a counselor at Vacation Bible School
- raised money for Ovarian Cancer
- made money as a dogsitter
- learned how to sew
- ….and so much more!
Thank you Sierra Sandison for being more than a person who wears a pump! And cheers to all who are more than they appear to be!